whateverandmore...journal of my experiences and thoughts

Do you know Frank Sinatra's song, That's Life? I been a pauper, a poet, a pirate, a pawn and a queen. I am mother; I was a teacher; I am a Democrat; I was raised a Catholic; I have been a member of unions;I am a child of Ellis Island immigrants; I was born & raised in the city of big shoulders; I follow politics; I have voted in every election since 1972. The absurdity of the right-wingnuts amuses me.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Blacks Voting Republican

I am not going to say that some of my best friends are Black, but I will say that I attended an HBC, and I taught at a school that was 95% Black. For these reasons, I had the opportunity to talk politics with many Black people. I certainly am not claiming to be an expert on African-American voting habits, but this is what I learned.

When Bush was running for his second term, I was amazed to discover how many Black teachers were voting for him. Why? Only one reason given: abortion.

The people I talked with were devout Christians who attended church regularly, and they decided, through the guidance of their churches, that abortion should not be legal. They believed in the life at conception; therefore, to them, abortion was ending a life.

One teacher was wary of Bush and even said: "I sure hope he surrounds himself with intelligent advisers, because he is not very bright." But, she intended to vote for him anyway.

These voters were voting for a party that didn't even want them to be part of it. They were voting with Red states where the Confederacy is celebrated and the Confederate flag is still displayed.

Abortion is a medical issue and has no place in politics. But, there it is. Health Care Reform was delayed because of it. When all else seems to be failing for Republicans, the abortion card is thrown out on the table. Shouting, "Baby-killer" will get the anti-abortion people to grab their Bibles & their pitchforks and right-wing politicians know it.

But just as Cheney supports Gays, because his daughter is Gay, I all ways wonder how many of these Right Wingers would support an abortion for their daughter were she to become pregnant by an African-American. Yea, I said it, and I hope that Black voters, who vote on this one issue, will think about it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment