whateverandmore...journal of my experiences and thoughts

Do you know Frank Sinatra's song, That's Life? I been a pauper, a poet, a pirate, a pawn and a queen. I am mother; I was a teacher; I am a Democrat; I was raised a Catholic; I have been a member of unions;I am a child of Ellis Island immigrants; I was born & raised in the city of big shoulders; I follow politics; I have voted in every election since 1972. The absurdity of the right-wingnuts amuses me.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Concerned About Keeping Maryland Blue

I am such a dork; I couldn't remember my password & I couldn't get on here for weeks. So many issues have come & gone, and damn-it, I couldn't write a blog.


Back to topic: I have a concern about O'Malley, and I wonder if he is aware of this underground discontent with his budget. State employees are upset because he initiated mandatory unpaid leave days. In fairness, O'Malley did say he would also have his salary docked. This condescending gesture didn't do much to make it easier for state employees who fall behind in their work and lose money.

According to Forbes, Maryland has 4 of the wealthiest counties in the USA. That's not bad for such a little unassuming state. That should also mean that some nice taxes are collected.

Whiners? OK some states have it worse, like California. Their problems are appreciated, but I don't live there or pay taxes there.

According to a census, there were 81,044 full time employees in 2008. I don't know if all state employees are subject to the unpaid leave, but I do know that agencies like Juvenile Services has been affected. It performs a state service that is vital. Do we want to become some sort of third world country with street urchins roaming the state?

My hope right now is that the Democrats realize that using state employees to balance the budget is a bad idea. My concern is that the Democrats will lose votes because of this issue. Maryland's Democratic leaders must have a better idea, soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment