whateverandmore...journal of my experiences and thoughts

Do you know Frank Sinatra's song, That's Life? I been a pauper, a poet, a pirate, a pawn and a queen. I am mother; I was a teacher; I am a Democrat; I was raised a Catholic; I have been a member of unions;I am a child of Ellis Island immigrants; I was born & raised in the city of big shoulders; I follow politics; I have voted in every election since 1972. The absurdity of the right-wingnuts amuses me.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Elementary Politics 101

As a little girl, I remember asking my Ma what we were. Were we Republican or Democrat? She said that Republicans represented big businesses & wealthy people & that Democrats were the party of the working class. I knew which one we were then. My Grandpa worked for years in the meat-packing business in freezers--12 hours--everyday. When I knew him, he walked with a cane and a painful limp, which everyone said was due to his job.

One Primary Day, she told me that she never voted in primaries because she did not want to declare her party. We lived in a Republican town, and my family had a little grocery store. She explained that she feared the town would not pick up the trash, which could be a big problem with the store.

I remember liking that we were undercover.

Why was our town Republican? It was in Cook County on the boarder of Chicago, which was traditionally a Democratic stronghold.

One logical reason would be that lots of factories were there including a huge Western Electric, Sunbeam & Burlington Trains.

But the reason I heard from friend's parents is because the "Republicans will keep Blacks out."
Except, they didn't say "Black." The neighborhood's residents were all from the Old County, as they called it. I was second generation born here. They did not know any Africans in Europe, and they truly feared them. They also heard and perpetuated the stereotypes of the day about Blacks.

We didn't use the N-word at my house. When neighbors or playmates used the word, I was uncomfortable.
How to pick sides for street games: Eeny, Meanie, Minie, Moe, Catch a N----by the toe, if he hollers let him go, Eenie, Meanie, Minie, Moe.


I vaguely remember the precinct captain coming by to talk to my parents about my older brother. He had some great summer job for him.

My uncle was a precinct captain & my aunt worked the polls every year in Chicago, and they were greatly respected.

Before I was 10, this is what I learned:
Republicans-party of business
Democrats-party of working class
Politics was a tough game -go with the status quo
or City Hall might lose that license you've been waiting for
Some voters are racists which overrides any other issues
Racists in my neighborhood, were also devout Catholics. Hypocrisy in religion.
If your family needed something, the politicians could help you.
Politics were important in my family; my grandparents came at the turn of the century, fleeing Communism, and voting was a cherished right.
Republicans did not like Black people

Ha, how little things have changed in politics since I was a little girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment